Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Ancient Egypt in Lace and Color by Anna Dalvi


I knit quite a bit of lace so I was happy to review this book. There are 12 patterns included. The inspiration for all of the designs came from ancient Egypt. Anna explains some of the historical context. "Six colors were used in the Egyptian art of the Old Kingdom (third millennium BCE): green, red, white, black, yellow, and blue."




In this book, Anna has designed two shawls in each of the six main colors, drawing inspiration from their meaning in ancient Egyptian myths. Anna researched the meanings of the colours and then read the stories to suggest appropriate lace motifs for each shawl. The stories are included with each charted pattern.



There is a mix of construction styles and shapes including 4 top down triangles of various sizes, 2 circular shawls, with one stole among the selection. The photos are beautiful and include both a modeled and laid flat version. 

I could see myself wearing any of these shawls. 


Anna was previously interviewed on my bog here.

You can buy the book here.
 
Full Disclosure: I'm part of the Cooperative Press reader referral program. I think they publish great knitting content!

You can see all of the designs here on Ravelry. 



No comments:

Post a Comment