Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Stitch markers and what you can use them for


Many of my blog posts come from conversations with other knitters. I was surprised to hear someone say they rarely use markers, which got me thinking about all the ways I do. I use a variety of types of markers for various purposes and I use different colours to track different things going on in a project.

  1. I use a bright colour marker as the first marker on the RS of the work and a dull colour as the last marker. this way I know immediately when I pick up my work if I am on a RS or WS row.
  2. To mark the beginning of a round.
  3. To mark pattern repeats in lace, cables or in colour work.
  4. When casting on large numbers of stitches I put a marker after a set number of stitches, then I recount immediately to ensure that section is correct. The final number can then be confirmed for example by counting 8 sections of 25 stitches is 200 stitches in total.
  5. To track the locations of increases or decreases. I also use locking markers on top of the work after working the shaping so I can be sure I did the correct total number.
  6. A locking marker can be used as a stitch holder for a dropped stitch until I work back to that place in the row ready to pick it back up.
  7. A locking marker can also be used as a stitch marker for a split stitch until I work back to that place in the row ready to drop the stitch column down and pick it back up.
  8. A split ring marker can be placed on the needle to remind me I need to pick up a dropped yarnover.
  9. I sometimes tie the yarn tail to a marker after I cast on to avoid working the next row with the tail instead of the working yarn. 
  10. To mark buttonhole placements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment